Tuesday, May 15, 2007

one-blade fan

the one-blade fan is a story told to me by a lying, deceitful, charlatan prone to exaggerating and malicious content. He told me that when he and friend were in the market for masters in computer science they hit the university of pune. Upon entering the dorm on a hot day they found several people fighting for a spot under a fan that had only one blade.

Needless to say the visual image of a patheric fan being fought over by nerdy smelly computer students is very amusing. I have repeated the story to others with differing results. Most found it funny but some skeptics questioned the very foundation of the story, can a one bladed fan run without tearing itself out of the roof? It is scientifically viable for it to remain rooted on the ceiling if the speed was low and then the story would be even more hilarious.

However, why speculate when we can go straight to the horse's mouth? And so i cornered the charlatan and demanded a retell of the story. This time the charlatan, and this should have been expected,  declared that the fan had no blades at all.

Seems that every telling of the story reduces a blade of the fan. If I was sherlock I would deduce that the original story had two whole blades. But I'm not sherlock homey so my story will continue to have the one-blade fan in all its pristine glory
.
Let it not be said that my second hand stories are riddled with inconsistencies.


It's here! Your new message!
Get new email alerts with the free Yahoo! Toolbar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home