Monday, March 05, 2007

digging for godot

when i was a kid i spent copious amounts of time digging in the front yard. This was not a desirable activity because
1. i would dig with my hands exposing the underside of my nail to worms and other parasites
2. the yard was big because it had reclaimed a dumping area and with the broken glass and syringes and rusty razors that emerged with disturbing frequency, bare hands were not the ideal tool for the job.

Anyway, digging was fun and I did lots of it. I would bury things, create terrains for cars and he-man fights, search for treasure and items of paleontological significance, etc.

It was in a quests for buried treasure that two tragic events shattered by innocent childlike ways.

1. I was digging blind in some loose soil when I felt a cold curved cylindrical object. There was much joy in my little heart for I thought i had a big ol' lock. I imagined the pleasure I would get playing with a big metal lock. My dream had come true. As I pulled out the lock, I found a big, fat, pale squirming larva/oversize maggot in my hand. That was the most disgusting thing ever to happen to me or so I thought in the foolishness of youth.

2. after a particularly deep excavation (3-4 inches) i discovered a fossil of some prehistoric creature. It was somewhat tubular with feathers awkwardly spread through its body. A musty ancient smell came from it. Truly prehistoric, some sort of flying dinosaur. I kept it in my room handling it with care and admiring it frequently. After spending a good amount of time deliberating how to reveal my findings to the world's museums and paleo community, I came to the conclusion that the 'fossil' was actually a piece of cat shit. The only relevant scientific data to be gleaned from this horrific realization was that the cat had consumed a bird. Yes, truly a revelation.

I hate dirt now. Life can be cruel.


Looking for earth-friendly autos?
Browse Top Cars by "Green Rating" at Yahoo! Autos' Green Center.

1 Comments:

Blogger zingaree said...

innovatively disgusting

3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home