Thursday, November 27, 2008

notes from the delhi wilderness

I write these notes for those who follow me into this forsaken wilderness. as my last breath leaves me and I die in this foreign land, my bones would rest easier knowing that i tried to ward off disaster for those who come after...


1. I notice that its hard to walk without stepping on ants. The little ants are our friends and allies, take care not to mush them.

2. I saw a billboard. On top of this billboard there was a hawk. On top of that hawk, there was another hawk. The upper hawk was hopping up and down in the most enthusiastic manner. I wonder what they were doing.

3. A small beggar child perhaps a foot high trailed me outside dilli haat. through years of training I was able to ignore it till it was but a speck in my peripheral vision. Ha! wont get any money from me you little thieving fiends. Anyway, a car nearly whacked it and as a reflex I pushed the beggar child forward out of harms way. In retrospect, the car would have at the worst mildly shoved the odious little creature (like I ended up doing) and unfortunately for me, I had to quarantine my hand till I could get home and sterilise it. That'll teach me to show kindness.

4. While eating and drinking and making merry at QBA in the area formely known as Connaught Place, a cat ran in and hid behind our sofa. We summoned a lesser person to dispatch the creature and get another pitcher of the finest kingfisher they had. They chased it out with a stick.

5. Living in america has made me weak and feeble. I find myself inadvertently thanking waiters and doormen. The other day I held the door open for a busboy. An awkward situation all around.

6. I saw a puppy lying alone in the middle of an empy open paved courtyard at dilli haat. I suppose it is a sacrifice of some sort. I expect it and its kin are the secret ingredient for the famed momo section.

7. I saw two leopards humping. On tv.

8. I saw 5.5 movies on the trip from NYC to Delhi. I expect to see at least 6-8 movies on the way back. That leads us to an expected total of at least 12 movies for the cost of $1175.  A healthy bargain of under $100 per movie. Oh yeah, and I get to travel for free from NYC to Delhi and back!

9. If one must look at Delhi cars through 'Western' eyes, one would be most amused to note that Honda Civics can be cahuffeur driven. Note that at one point, sticking a little fan inside the car was the height of luxury and comfort.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home